Saturday 23 May 2009

Hannah montana

Earlier today, House Bill 2011, which I have come to affectionately call the "Hannah Montana bill", passed the House of Representatives unanimously. I came up with the idea for this bill last year when stories surfaced that no one was able to buy tickets online to the Hannah Montana concert in Pittsburgh- and no, I was NOT one of the people trying to buy the tickets.

Apparently, some shady ticket brokers use software that knocks out the legitimate customers like you and me as soon as tickets become available. Then they have a clear path to swoop in, grab up all of the tickets for themselves, and resell them at an outrageous markup.

So the next thing you know, parents are spending thousands of dollars on Hannah Montana tickets because they promised their kids and don't want to disappoint them. My legislation makes it a criminal act to use the ticket-blocking software. I personally encountered this problem when I tried to buy tickets for the Winter Classic hockey game between the Penguins and the Buffalo Sabres on New Year's Day last year.

So now that I'm working hard to help kids get to see Hannah Montana, my next piece of legislation is obvious- I need to lower the voting age to 12.